An Alternative to Foley and External Catheters
If you use a catheter to help manage your incontinence, you have multiple options:
- Foley catheters, also known as internal or indwelling catheters
- External catheters, also known as Texas or condom catheters
- Intermittent catheters, also known as short-term catheters
Disadvantages of Foley Catheters
One of the biggest problems of Foley catheters is the risk of infection. According to a study featured in BMC Urology , they are the leading cause of healthcare-associated urinary tract infections.
Foley catheters have also been known to cause low back pain and achiness, a burning sensation in the urethra, and bloody or cloudy urine.
Finally, Foley catheters cannot be self-applied. While they only need to be replaced once per month, a medical professional or caregiver is needed to put the new catheter in place.
Disadvantages of Traditional External Catheters
Like Foley catheters, men who use external catheters at risk of getting a urinary tract infection. In fact, 40% of men who use traditional external catheters for an extended period of time will get an infection.
External catheters can also cause skin irritation, can be painful to remove, and some men report leakage because the catheter can be pulled or tugged out of place.
The Men’s Liberty Difference
Men’s Liberty was designed to help men with urinary incontinence – no matter how old or young, no matter what the cause – regain their freedom and dignity.
- Was designed to help men of all ages who are suffering from urinary incontinence regain their dignity and freedom
- Effectively directs urine away from the skin, which reduces the risk of urinary tract infections
- Uses a latex-free adhesive that is safe and hypoallergenic
- Forms a complete seal without “pop-offs”
- Can be easily removed with our FreeDerm product
- Is covered by most private insurance plans
Still Have Questions?
To find out more about how Men’s Liberty’s products compare to other types of male urinary catheters you may have used in the past, call our expert care team at 1-800-814-3174. We’re here to help you get back to a more active and enjoyable lifestyle, with fewer risks of leakage or infections!
You can also read our article on how to apply Men’s Liberty .